September 23, 2014 4:34 am
Mold – Mold can grow practically anywhere within the home, and has the ability to produce irritants and allergens that compromise the health of your family. To keep mold-producing moisture out, Lucas Hamilton, building scientist and expert with CertainTeed, suggests:
- When weather allows, ventilate your home by opening windows and doors to let moisture escape. If necessary, use a fan to allow air to circulate.
- Because moisture is unavoidable in any home, its presence in the wall cavity is almost inevitable and can be dangerous if not addressed. Your best prevention is with quality insulation that provides a healthier indoor environment by reducing the risk of mold and mildew and improving overall indoor air quality.
- While you won’t be able to stop rain from creating a wet mess in your basement or crawlspace, you can take action to steer water away. Make sure a proper grade exists in your yard to prevent water from reaching the foundation.
- Before hanging up a mirror or wall art, make sure you aren’t driving a nail through the wiring in the walls — a danger that accounts for thousands of home fires each year. To avoid this mishap, switch out circuit breakers with arc-fault circuit interrupters, which detect sparks and prevent them from blazing.
- The kitchen is a hot spot for fires to start. Always keep combustible items such as towels, pot holders and cookbooks at least 3-4 feet from burners, the oven and other heat sources.
- Reduce the risk of fire by having your clothes dryer cabinet professionally cleaned every few years. If enough lint accumulates within the dryer, the heating element within the appliance can start a fire.
Published with permission from RISMedia.